France has beaten Spain to become the second Nations League winners, while England and Italy have been relegated. The Nations League is a competition between European national teams in which they compete for points on a yearly basis.
In the Nations League final, Kylian Mbappe remained onside to score the game-winning goal.
France came from behind to defeat Spain and won the Nations League for the second time. Kylian Mbappe scored a controversial goal.
After Karim Benzema’s spectacular equalizer at Milan’s San Siro, Mbappe was deemed to be onside when he slipped the ball beneath Unai Simon.
Mikel Oyarzabal had put Spain ahead after shrugging off defender Dayot Upamecano and beating Hugo Lloris.
Lloris made two late stops to give the global champions the win.
As France became the competition’s second champion after Portugal in 2019, he initially denied Oyarzabal before acrobatically keeping away Yeremi Pino’s attempt in stoppage time.
However, Mbappe’s winner will be a point of contention, since the goal was awarded despite the fact that the Paris St-Germain forward was offside when Theo Hernandez delivered the first through pass.
In an effort to remove the threat before it reached Mbappe, Spain defender Eric Garcia touched the ball, and the rules specify that “a player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who intentionally plays the ball… is not deemed to have acquired an advantage.”
France had to come back from a 2-0 deficit to defeat Belgium 3-2 in the final on Thursday, and they did it in a game that came alive after an hour of technical but dull play.
Less than two minutes after Oyarzabal’s opening, Benzema cut in on his right foot to curl the ball over Simon, demonstrating Didier Deschamps’ side’s tenacity once again.
Even though France had 36% possession, they were always a danger on the counter-attack as Mbappe delivered the crucial – and maybe lucky – punch.
“I truly wanted to win a trophy with France, and now it’s done,” Benzema, who returned to the international fold before Euro 2020 in the summer, told French television station M6.
“We demonstrated character strength because this squad is extremely tough and never gives up, like we demonstrated today.”
“Not panicking, being patient, and waiting for the perfect chance are all signs of a successful team.”
2Azpilicueta12 García19 Laporte17 Alonso
9Paez Gaviria, 5Busquets, 16Rodri, 9Paez Gaviria, 5Busquets, 9Paez Gaviria
- 19Laporte It was scheduled for 86 minutes.
- Paez Gaviria, 9Paez Gaviria, 9Paez Gaviri 75’minutes substituted for Koket
- At 84’minutes, Rodri was substituted by Fornals.
- At 84’minutes, Torres was substituted by Marino.
- 22Sarabia Pinoat was replaced for 61 minutes.
- 1de Gea
- 4 Martínez
- 5KoundéScheduled for 55 minutes
- At 43’minutes, Varane was substituted by Upamecano.
- 6PogbaScheduled for 46 minutes
- 7Griezmann Veretoutat 90+2’minutes was substituted.
- 10Mbappé has been booked for 89 minutes.
- 17 Veretout
- Ben Yedder (Ben Yedder) is a 20-year-old
Anthony Taylor is the official referee.
- Spain 1, France 2 is the final score.
- Spain 1, France 2 at the conclusion of the second half.
- Attempt was thwarted. The header from Sergio Busquets (Spain) from the center of the box is blocked. Yeremi Pino assisted with a cross.
- Spain’s corner. Karim Benzema has given up a goal.
- The attempt has been saved. Spain’s Yeremi Pino’s left-footed effort from the middle of the box is saved in the goal.
- Spain’s corner. Paul Pogba gave up the goal.
- The attempt was unsuccessful. Spain’s Mikel Merino hits the left post with a header from the middle of the area. César Azpilicueta assisted with a cross.
- France, you’ve been replaced. Antoine Griezmann is replaced by Jordan Veretout.
- Attempt was thwarted. The right footed shot from the middle of the box by Pablo Fornals (Spain) is blocked. Koke was a big help.
- France’s Kylian Mbappé receives a yellow card for a harsh foul.
- On the right wing, Yeremi Pino (Spain) earns a free kick.
- Kylian Mbappé commits a foul (France).
- The attempt has been saved. Right-footed effort by Kylian Mbappé (France) from the right side of the box is saved in the center of the goal. Karim Benzema assisted.
- In the defensive half, Spain’s César Azpilicueta earns a free kick.
- Karim Benzema was called for a foul (France).
- The attempt has been saved. Spain’s Mikel Oyarzabal’s left-footed effort from the middle of the box is saved in the goal’s center. Marcos Alonso assisted.
- The attempt was unsuccessful. The left-footed attempt from outside the box by Antoine Griezmann (France) goes high and wide to the left. Following a set piece scenario, Paul Pogba assisted.
- Spain’s Aymeric Laporte receives a yellow card for a harsh foul.
- Aymeric Laporte is called for a foul (Spain).
- In the attacking half, France’s Léo Dubois earns a free kick.